Tuesday, November 17, 2009

k-12 online conferences

Prove It “Student Creation of Digital Documentaries in History Classrooms: Research Findings”
http://dotsub.com/view/c8de26a3-effe-4577-a8b6-930e8bf09a11
I found this conference to be very helpful because it specifically focused on History. It introduced me to a new technology called primary access. The conferece dealt specifically with this new software. It was really interesting because the conference showed samples from students using the Primary access software and powerpoint. the students who used Primary access were able to recieve constant feedback from their teachers because every time they worked on their project the teacher was able to see it on her end of the line. the students who used powerpoint were not able to recieve that same type of feedback they also did not learn as much as the students who used primary access. Primary Access helps the students remember content knowledge.
Kicking it up a Notch Games in Education
http://dotsub.com/view/937f0dcc-da25-477a-b00b-d6ac691baf90
I choose to watch the games in education becasue as a history teacher i want to learn how to make history come alive to my students. this conferece talked specifically about how games can have educational value. it briefly covered the topic of having your students design there own games. it also covered what games have educational value and which ones don't. the lady who did the conference was very knowledgable in these areas because her career is making video games both for schools and for the public. some video games that the schools have access to are not educational. they don't help the students to think critically, they are however assessment based games that the student can answer after studying the material. the games that the host was addressing are games that can be played to learn new ideas, not simply for assessment after the material is learned. the host gave out some great websites for teachers to be apart of when trying to find something applicable and thought provoking to bring into a classroom.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like the "classes" that you took were pretty interesting. I have never heard of Primary Access either. That sounds like a great tool to use with secondary students, especially for larger projects when constant feedback is even more inportant. The "class" about the video games sounds really cool. I think if teachers can use video games as a teaching tool it would be great. So many students love video games and I think attatching educational value to something they alread love is a great idea. Games with assessments at the end would be especially valuable because then it assess and reinforces their learning. I think I would really like that as a student!

    ReplyDelete